Thursday, September 27, 2007

...and there's no way to know the future foe scenarios

heading into baseball's final weekend, still nothing is determined in the NL playoff picture, where 7 teams fight for 4 spots. i know E!SPN has already mentioned this fact about 12 million times but still i find it pretty intriguing. this has never happened before in baseball history. the rockies(!) 11-game win streak put them in position to win the division, and they could even win homefield advantage(!!!!!) throughout the NL playoffs. or, of course, they could still miss them altogether. the exact same can be said for the mets, who were a lock only two weeks ago.

so, in true fiscal musings style, i ask a question to my readers (both of you)... is all of this a product of the National League's parity, or mediocrity?

2 comments:

Josh said...

Up front I'd like to admit to my ignorance of and apathy towards baseball. I will, therefore, not be answering your question.

That said, I went to a Nats game last week where we beat the Mets 9-8. I don't know much about baseball, and I won't watch it on TV, but it was enjoyable being at the game. Aside from the $5 "Jumbo Dog" and the annoying Mets fans, it was fun. We were down 4-0 in the first inning, but came back to win it. Tickets were free from work.

In a related story, I took off Monday this week to drive up to NY to see a Yankees game. They lost. I've heard they're supposed to be an all-star team, but they sucked it up. Maybe I just don't understand the sport.

I will be enjoying the DC United game from a box seat tomorrow night at RFK (same stadium as Nats currently). They're #1 in the league right now! You guys ever go to a soccer game? I wonder if it would be boring, or if actually being at the game would make it fun...

the happy ninja said...

this is good post with even better links. i was shocked to find out masterlock has a website.

to answer your question, i believe it's more of a function of parity than mediocrity because i can see the top-tier AL teams struggle against the phillies or padres [their pitching is top-notch from top to bottom].