Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Awards: The Baseball Trip

I recently went on a baseball trip with some friends from college. We started in Boston on Saturday, July 14th and then headed to these cities over the next six days: Philadelphia, New York (Yankees), Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago (Cubs), Milwaukee. I handed out various awards to club officials at each stadium, which they graciously accepted. Here now is the list of awards in the order of the games we attended:

Boston:
- Best outfield walls
- Lamest visiting-team fans (Blue Jays)
- Gayest (in the literal sense of the word) visiting-team fans

Philadelphia:
- Most not-really-as-bitter-as-you'd-think fans
- Best cheesesteak (Pat's on 8th and Passyunk). This is also the only good cheesesteak I've ever eaten.
- Best 10,000th loss

New York (Yankees):
- Best overall experience
- Smartest fans (knew when to cheer, when to get quiet. you'd be surprised how many fans struggle at this without scoreboard assistance.)
- Best fan chanting (from Section 39 in the bleachers. If you've never been there, this alone is worth the price of admission. very cool.)
I'd also like to note here that I'm a Braves fan that pretty well dislikes the Yankees. But I can't even argue, the experience was that good.

Pittsburgh:
- Best ducks/geese
- Most lackluster fans
- Most forgettable game (but at least we got a baseball from Xavier Nady. Thanks X-Man!)

Cleveland:
- Worst downtown parking
- Best luxury boxes that look like weird tic tac containers
- Lamest scoreboard graphics

Chicago (Cubs):
- Coldest game
- As much as I hate to admit it, most exciting game (Barry Bonds 2 HR and 6 RBI)
- Best pizza (chicago deep dish > new york style)

Milwaukee:
- Best bratwurst ever
- Most bitter fans
- Most stuck-in-the-1980's fans
- Best scoreboards
- Best stadium overall

I'll post more about the milwaukee game in another post, as I got some pretty good pictures from that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're up and running as a blog... We'll see how it goes from here.

Also, I'll add another deserving award.

The most awkward place to stay: The Meese House.

Anonymous said...

I also need to make a correction. The cheesesteak place Pat's in Philly was on 9th and Passyunk I believe.

You should also allow anonymous comments. It's more user friendly.